Thursday, February 14, 2008

There Are Too Many Fish In the Sea


I suppose I should say something about Valentine’s Day. I’m not a huge fan of the holiday, and I’ve moved past the stage of being anti-Valentine’s Day. I’m not one of those people who thinks it’s just another excuse for chocolate and card companies to make a quick buck (although this is, like many holidays, true), and I don’t preach the notion that everyday should be Valentine’s Day. My favorite thing about it, at this stage in my life, is the huge sale on chocolates that comes immediately afterwards.

That said, I have some particularly well-written and enjoyable literature for those who share what I believe to be a realistic view of love and loss:

- Atlantic Monthly: Marry Him! looks at the notion of “settling” from the perspective of someone who hasn’t settled.
- New York Times: Another Cup is a romantic’s lamentations, over coffee.
- NY Mag: The Ivy League Co-ed Who Has Orgasms In Her Sleep follows a Columbia student along on a week of romantic travails.
- The Huffington Post: e-Vsdropping: Bill’s Valentine to Hillary takes a peek behind closed doors.

Maybe next year, I’ll try to gather up enough oomph to write something touchingly real. Until then, Happy Fishing!

[Photo courtesy of Film Magic]

No comments: