Saturday, May 24, 2008

Challenge Complete


[Photo courtesy of ArchuletaFans.com]

The dust of David Archuleta’s “loss” on season seven of American Idol has settled, and my life is slowly returning to the way it was. I can’t say I wasn’t expecting a David Cook victory – in fact, I had not only called it at least six weeks earlier, but I had envisioned the confetti and the crying and the broad smiles had by Archuleta. Except my confetti was colorful – something the American Idol crew might want to look into next year.

This the first season I consistently watched American Idol, and it’s pretty safe to say that it’ll be my last. From my research, I’ve gathered that even for many veteran American Idol viewers, this season has been an especially emotional one. The emotional attachment to many of the contestants (I even felt a twinge in my heart when Brooke White was voted off, for crying out loud), in combination with my hunger to keep up with spoilers, news and behind-the-scenes interviews has gotten to be too much to take. I think I was as relieved as both Davids when the imminent David-squared finale drew a winner.

Alas, my American Idol challenge is complete; I will forgive myself for missing three episodes while on vacation mid-March. Here is what I learned:

There is a whole rabbit hole of traditions, conspiracy theories and terms out there for American Idol fanatics. I picked up a few – a pity, since I won’t be using them ever again: “TCO” (The Chosen One), “TPTB” (The Powers That Be, aka Randy, Paula and Simon and occasionally the evil producers such as Nigel Lythgoe), that contestants are often “thrown under the bus”, and “TMTH” (too much to handle), thanks to one Danny Noriega.

In addition to these foreign terms, I’ve learned to decipher Randy Jackson and swallow the overuse of words as “phonebook”, “baby”, “dawg” (this one I got over way back in Season One, when the press made fun of him for it) and “hot, hot, molten hot.” I have learned that fans of American Idol enjoy turning every mini-scandal into a “-gate” (see: “Paulagate”, “Promgate”, “Dadgate” or “Dadchuletagate”).

I have also learned that reading too much into the conspiracy theories is way trippy and only serves to hurt my brain, even if I am convinced something fishy’s going on.

That said, let’s celebrate the best moments of this season (from my very inexperienced American Idol perspective):
1. “I was thinking ... Bob Marley!”
Jason Castro was the best personality on this show. From his yawning to his happy-go-lucky attitude towards life, he was the source of stability and ... reality on an otherwise fantastical show.

2. The Top 2 Performances
I thought David Cook had it in the bag when he sang “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”, but then DArchuleta upped him a notch (or four) with “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me”. And on and on ...

3. Chikezie Eze
The cutest contestant all season – I’ll never forget him bouncing around on stage following his performance of “She’s A Woman”. Or his mom. Or the horrific sight of Ryan Seacrest bouncing. [Photo courtesy of AmericanIdol.com]

4. “It’s just ... gosh!”
David Archuleta, Utah, homecoming, tears, gosh.

5. “I Am ... I Said”
Brooke White’s over-vulnerability got on my nerves as the weeks wore on, but this girl can sing folk like the best of them when she’s not stopping and restarting.

Five Things I’ll Never Understand:
1. The appeal of Kristy Lee
2. “Always Be My Baby”
3. Why David Archuleta left his personality behind the stage curtains
4. The Themes
5. Why Ryan Seacrest hasn’t been replaced

And so concludes my foray into the world of American Idol. It’s made a buck or two off of me and monopolized not a few of my hours with watching (and occasionally voting). And I’ll be going to the August 4th show. Good luck to all; I have no doubt the two Davids will prosper.

... and we will return to our regularly scheduled programming following the Memorial Day weekend. Have a good one.

No comments: