Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Rant of the Week

Aside from my disapproval of Mark Ronson's affected Mid-Atlantic (but mostly British) accent and the scientifically inaccurate lyrics of OneRepublic's "Apologize" ("I loved you with a fire red, now it's turning blue" -- blue fire is commonly known to be hotter than red fire, Ryan Tedder) -- both of which are not news, I am appalled at the new fashion or just dumb celebrity trend of bright, like CARIBBEAN blue nail polish.

The people over at Fashionista.com spoke to Lauren Conrad about her oh-so-fascinating nails:
Well, that's weird [that people are obsessed with her nails] ... yeah, I stopped doing black, and now I'm getting really playful. I just got this electric blue color, and also these metallic foils from Sephora that are kind of crazy. You push them down onto your nails and they stay there, like instead of polish. Oh, and I like going to party supply stores because they sell glitter nail polish that's really intense. When you paint it on your nails, they look like disco balls.

Why oh why is this trend back? I wore several shades of blue polish back in the day (when I was twelve, and I'm being literal here) and when I caught a photo of myself wearing a bright red wool sweater with baby blue nails, I swore never to wear light blue polish again. So even though the girls of The Hills and a couple of other key players in Hollywood (and people who should know better -- Heidi Klum?) have jumped back on the bandwagon, I am passing on this one. Can someone tell them that it's not flattering in the least?

Dior said NAVY BLUE nail polish was in, not "electric blue"! Stay in fashion school for one more year, Lauren!

[Photo courtesy of Egotastic]
*You can't really tell, but in that photo of Whitney Port's unfortunate nip slip, she is in fact wearing light blue nail polish. I know that's what you're all focusing on in this photo.

No comments: