Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Golden Globes 2006: The Aftermath

So ... how accurate was I last night? Let's review:
I guess incorrectly on two and half-incorrectly on two (one first choice did win and the other did not. I may as well say I guessed incorrectly on three, then). So, not bad for someone who hasn't seen a movie at the theaters since April!

Fashion roundup ... I felt like there were a lot of beautiful dresses and a lot of beautiful dresses gone wrong, and not so many in-between.


BEST DRESSED
1. Hilary Swank

Sexayy -- feels good to be single, don't it? "What is that dress?" Issac Mizrahi asked bewilderingly, pointing a weak finger at her chest. Although, the shoes left something to be desired.
2. Ellen Pompeo

She would've scored more points if her makeup hadn't been a little washed out and her hair hadn't turned on her.
3. Keira Knightley
4. Charlize Theron
5. Felicity Huffman


Honorable Mentions: Evangeline Lilly, Kate Beckinsale, Sandra Oh and Marcia Cross.


WORST DRESSED
1. Fergie

Sigh. I think she got confused and ended up at the wrong awards show.
2. Emma Thompson

The dress itself looked pretty. Or what I could see of it beneath the pink rabbit she had wrapped around herself and Colin Firth ...
3. Virginia Madsen
4. Scarlett Johannson

Trashy, not classy. And Mizrahi went straight for the chest. Straight for the chest.
5. Alanis Morissette
The haircolor was pleasing, and the dress was beautiful. Just not for her skintone.

Honorable Mentions: Natalie Portman (Sometimes she does so well. And then she pulls a "I've been in the business for over ten years but my mom still dresses me as if I were twelve." Those shoes just ... didn't go with the dress.), Mira Sorvino (She looked less like The Little Mermaid than the sardine that couldn't squeeze herself into the can.)

OTHER MENTIONABLES
For one, I'm shocked Mariah Carey didn't look ridiculous last night.
I also feel the need to defend my not having chosen certain people for the Best Dressed list ... Reese Witherspoon usually does no wrong, and she certainly didn't fall off the scale last night, but I thought she looked like an eleven-year-old boy. The dress didn't exactly flatter her figure and was perhaps a bit too cutesy. And Michelle Williams has been looking radiant since she's been pregnant. Last night was no exception -- so long as her shoes didn't poke through! What is up with stars and their poor pairing of shoes to dress?

[Photos courtesy of Getty Images and lime-light.org]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding Mariah Carey looked HORRIBLE!!! Her dress was way to tight and she looked fat. She looked like a really ugly drag queen with a bad boob job....at least we couldn't see her package.

Anonymous said...

Wow..someone already said what I was gonna say! lol I agree..I think Mariah looked awful. The dress was hideous and she needs to wear clothes that better fit her body type, because the way she keeps dressing has "I'm in denial about my weight" written all over it. Sowwy!! But, I LOVED all your updates and commentary as always! :) Thanks, MAX!

Anonymous said...

Charlize Theron BEST dressed? More like barely dressed. This is an awards show that is on TV darling not a burlesque show in Vegas

Anonymous said...

omg mariah carey looked like an orange sausage stuffed in that awful dress. she needs to cover her ugly boobs and stop dressing likes she's skinny. get a mirror! and an eating disorder (j/k!)