Monday, July 28, 2008

Fall "It Girl" Predictions

If you know me, you know I love making lists. It's midday and I'm a little bored by the gossip mill, so here goes nothing. It's pretty standard (aka pointless) as far as lists go:


[Photo courtesy of BuddyTV]

Five "It" Girls to Watch Out For
* You know I only really pay attention to Young Hollywood, so get out of your head any ideas of a balanced list

90210
I have a confession to make. I never watched Beverly Hills 90210 when I was younger. I was five when the show began and never cared to engage in the bitch-slapping that the commercials always featured. I caught maybe one episode (but only because Kids Incorporated star Haylie Johnson guest-starred) and that was that. So I am coming to this fall's 90210 with a blank slate, and let me tell you -- if the dialogue is bitchy, I can put them on mute. The cast is hot enough to watch based on that criterion alone. This is precisely how I feel about One Tree Hill and look, that's still on the air!
Jessica Stroup
I'm keeping my eye on Jessica Stroup. For some reason or another, I keep thinking she's Canadian -- probably because she reminds me slightly of Canadian supermodel Heather Marks. In any case, the girl seems to have shed some pounds before relocating to 90210 and is smokin' now.

Shenae Grimes
Okay, if it weren't for my internship at The N some summers ago, I'd honestly have no idea who this girl was. So it's a good thing that she's "made it" in Primetime America. Because she's possibly one of the most gorgeous faces on television today. That's just my opinion. If people haven't noticed her yet, I think they will this fall ...

Disney
Selena Gomez
Really, she should have really made it big by now. But with Miley Cyrus constantly digging herself into a deeper and deeper hole, Disney will probably try to push Selena to the forefront. At the risk of sounding slightly perverted, Selena really has the entire package: she's got a very appealing face, an incredible sense of fashion for someone her age (guess she has the money), her metabolism is still speeding along, and she can pretty much rival (or surpass) Miley in carrying a tune.

Gossip Girl
So these girls have been on the show for one season already, but I think their celebrity status will only rise as they are given juicier story lines and fame goes to their head:
Taylor Momsen
A lot of people seem to hate her. Or her character Jenny. I think this coming season will gain her a new fan or two, with new plotlines and -- hopefully -- her stepping away from Blair Waldorf's limelight. I'm looking forward to Taylor's escapades as a fifteen-year-old girl in the Big City, too.

Jessica Szohr
I think as the starlight wanes from Blake Lively, the focus will turn a little towards Jessica Szohr. Because, face it, she is drop-dead gorgeous. I'm not sure why people haven't given her the time of day yet. Maybe it has to do with the fact that her character Vanessa is nothing short of annoying. Vanessa's hook-up with Nate (that's what it looks like, right?) will likely polarize audiences, but my hope is it'll give her some much-needed screen time.

Hit-or-Miss
Kristen Stewart
In theory, this should be Kristen Stewart's year: she's starring in the much-awaited Twilight, due out in mid-December. The fame is hers for the taking, but I'm not sure it's what she wants. She may manage to allude the spotlight in the way Natalie Portman, etc. have.

Kat Dennings
In a slew of Michael Cera-led (or -esque) "indie" teen films to hit the big screen this year, Kat Dennings is co-starring with Cera in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. This movie should be a hit with the kids, but I'm not sure what it means for Kat Dennings. She's probably best-known for her role on that awful WB show, "Raising Dad". She's a very beautiful girl -- a white-collar man's Megan Fox, if you will -- and probably has decent acting chops, but sometimes the star machine malfunctions.

Emma Stone
I'm not sure The House Bunny and last year's Superbad are enough to propel her into IT girl territory, but I do have a good feeling about this one. One to keep in the incubator for a little while longer.

Chelsea Straub
If it weren't for the constant speculation on who Joe Jonas has been dating, I would never have heard of this girl. But since, apparently, the Jonas Brothers will have a television show (set to premiere in September), this girl is bound to shoot to at least semi-stardom. That's all I really know about her, really. She's blonde and not hideous, and that's enough these days if you're in the Jonas Brothers' social circle.

Big Deals
I think the film Towelhead/Nothing is Private will score rave reviews this coming fall, but will not produce any brand-spanking new stars. Summer Bishil stars as Jasira, but I fear she will fall into Keisha Castle-Hughes territory -- minus the baby at 16. This is a film based on a novel by Alicia Erian, a former visiting-professor at my college. I interviewed her for the newspaper in 2005 and she seemed keen on Toni Collette as an actress. It's great to see that they nabbed Toni for this film.

Missed the Boat
Some will never achieve the fame to which they aspire. At least not through non-scandalous means:

High School Musical
Zac Efron has taken full advantage of the ride and will likely go on to do bigger and better things before he falls flat at twenty-five and decides to pursue a degree. Glasses-girl Oleysa Rulin might be able to nab herself a role or two before spinning downwards into alcoholism and 24/7 partying. Lucas Grabeel was always destined for more serious roles. And for the rest of the folk, this is the end of the road.
Ashley Tisdale
I see that she was an executive producer on her latest straight-to-DVD film, Picture This. I also see her guest-starring on some decent television shows before hanging her coat up and throwing her efforts towards a Kohl's and/or Kitson fashion line and "producing" some second-rate films.

Vanessa Hudgens
This is really the end of the road for her, much more so than for Ashley Tisdale. Vanessa seems to have spent most of her time on the wild HSM ride securing herself a hot boyfriend (whose handsome looks, by the way, are quickly fading) and not building up her resume. Once ZEfron drops her like a hot potato, she'll have nothing. A couple of Disney appearances, at best. Maybe she'll be smart enough to go back to school.
Demi Lovato
I'm really on the fence about this one. It seems if her star hasn't supernovaed yet, it's not going to. She'll probably hit the tour circuit for another season or two, go back to school, and reemerge a stunning beaut and gain some fame in the indie flick world. It's okay, she's only fifteen. She can always blame her reckless (and embarrassing) behavior for being "only fifteen" later on.

No comments: