Saturday, July 12, 2008

Food: Georgia Diner

So I finally got to try out the much-lauded Georgia Diner in Queens, New York today. I thought, and still do think, that Georgia managed its accolades because Queens is seriously lacking in dinerage. My brunch date was my father, as usual, and typically one of us will order a savoury and the other a sweet to test the waters. However he immediately decided he wanted pancakes and I had to have something sweet, so we ended up with a Pancake Deluxe order and a Challah Bread French Toast.

The French toast was fine – a little above average, but definitely nothing to write home (or blog) about. The pancakes, in my opinion, were little more than atrocious, but a step or two above disgusting. I think they had too much egg in the batter, resulting in a fairly dense, completely inconsistent and even salty pancake. I wouldn’t write Georgia Diner off completely, though: even with its atrocious pancakes and average French toast, it didn’t come close to some of the nearly inedible diner foods I’ve experienced in the plains of Queens. The atmosphere was kid-friendly and oftentimes the din rose to a fighting battle to be heard (and I was sitting windowside!). The coffee was fantastic in comparison to IHOP’s and the service was pretty excellent. The best part: Target is three stone’s throws away.

Two-and-a-half stars (of four)
Georgia Diner
86-55 Queens Boulevard
Elmhurst, NY 11373
Good to know: It’s open 24 hours and apparently their cocktails are a hit.

[Photo courtesy of the Queens Tribune]

No comments: