Thursday, July 17, 2008

Mini-rant of the week

I really have nothing of note to say today, but photos of Zac Efron and girlfriend Vanessa Hudgens have been cropping up all over the internet over the past few days ... including racy (for Disney stars) photos of Zanessa on the beach in the Turks and Caicos.

My "rant" is barely that. I just wanted to point out that the 19-year-olds of today look so much younger than 19-year-olds of yesteryear, when I was fourteen or fifteen. And I'm not sure it has anything to do with me being older. I guess the only real example I can dredge up is the celebrity of my affections when I was a teen, Backstreet Boy Nick Carter. When I was fourteen, he was nineteen and had an 18-year-old live-in girlfriend, Amanda Williford (later best known as pop "bad girl" Willa Ford). Mandy did look young for her age, looking back, but perhaps as a result of her taller stature, she was a much more convincing 18n-year-old than Vanessa Hudgens is a 19-year-old or Ashley Tisdale is a 23-year-old. With Vanessa eye for trendy clothing, she unfortunately looks like a kid dressing up.

To ZEfron's credit, he looks his age and does his part in making their relationship seem "adult", as ridiculous as it feels saying that. And as hard as it is for me to believe that Vanessa is much more than his beard.

Maybe the problem is that some of the most popular 22 and unders belong to Disney? Could that be it?

Or maybe the problem is further exacerbated by these 22 and unders' sometimes scandalous behavior, which reads more as a plead for attention and an impatience to grow up than a desire to keep up with what their peers are doing today.

Of course, I have no idea what 15-year-olds are like today. In fact, Miley Cyrus' antics seem less annoying to me than, say, Vanessa Hudgens' perhaps because I attribute her to my general age group and generation.

Truth be told, I think the cut-off for the "MySpace generation" may have fallen upon the kids a year or two younger than me; by the time Facebook made it to the mainstream, I'd moved on past any potential penchant for scandal. And if I had taken it upon myself to pursue scandal, I would've looked like a bonafide Hooters girl and not just a stupid teen. My "generation" was just never given the proper tools for self-bastardization on the web when we were still jailbait.

That would explain a general lack of non-professional scandalous photos (sex tapes aside) of The Hills girls, because you know they would've been dug up by now. Scandalous photos or no, there is tons of drama to be had even with the show currently off-air: it's being said that the guest house in which Audrina Patridge has been living in (Lauren Conrad and Lo Bosworth's leftovers, essentially) is an illegal residence. The City of Los Angeles' Department of Building and Safety is investigating, but rumor has it Daddy Conrad has stepped in to save the day and may have stirred up a bit of trouble with Daddy Patridge.

E! Online reports:
"We got a complaint that the garage was converted into a living quarters," City of L.A. Code Inspector Joe Paradiso told E! News Wednesday. "The owner’s father called and said he wants to get together and make an appointment to go look at the place together."
Papa Conrad told Paradiso, "That's the way we bought it," according to the inspector.
But if the city determines that Patridge has indeed fashioned a bachelorette pad out of a detached garage, it's either back to the main house or the next moving truck that rumbles up the street may not be coming to deliver furniture.
"They will have to convert it back to a garage," Paradiso said.


Bye, bye Audrina. Is that a spin-off we smell?

[Photo courtesy of Just Jared]

No comments: