Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Is it Tuesday yet?


[Jason Castro, a man of his word (apparently), in his robe, courtesy of Jason Castro. The last video blog we have of him, June 24th]

American Idol tour update – it’s been one week for the top ten, and it seems the Idols are getting to know one another better. According to Michael Johns, Jason Castro likes walking around the guys’ tour bus in his underwear. And David Archuleta admits that he is even cuter and more adorable than we already thought he was: “I sleep-talk ... and sleep-sing.” Seriously, if someone could make a DArchuleta doll that could giggle, say “gosh!”, sing and be random, millions would buy it.

The Las Vegas Sun posted an audio file of an interview they did with DArchuleta recently (I’m pretty sure there are versions with the other Idols, but since this is still the David Archuleta Show, I didn’t bother seeking them out, nevertheless transcribing them). He comes across in this interview as extremely realistic about who he is and what he is capable of, which is refreshing, if not a bit unexpected for someone who is meant to be the next American teen heartthrob:

“I didn’t expect [the audience] to be as supportive as they were going to be because I’d heard that the past tours weren’t doing too well so I thought the audience was just going to sit back and let them enjoy ...”

“It’s a lot of fun to see the support that people are willing to come out and see you perform and ... it’s neat because sometimes you feel like ‘Oh,’ you feel like it’s the end of the road for you or something for the support, but it’s still there. It’s neat.”

“Talking to people, you know, that’s a challenge I have. You know, everyone here doesn’t have as big of an issue as I do. But it’s good to work on it, you know, and learn how to do it better. It’s good practice, that’s for sure. But, you know, it’s all your own experience. It’s a matter of going through it and that’s how you learn. Learn through living through it.”

On his week off after the finale:
“I went to Lake Powell with a bunch of my friends. They went for their senior trip but they let me go because it was kind of like I was leaving too, I guess. It was really nice. I didn’t go outside on the water or anything, but I stayed inside and relaxed.”

On the probing about his father ... yes, David Archuleta, too, gets annoyed!:
“I think people have realized ... I think a lot of it had to do with just the show and they needed some dramatic thing, I guess. It was kind of annoying that, it’s like, they didn’t have anything so they had to find another way that they couldn’t disprove just by watching me, I guess. It was really annoying ... I think it was more just trying to find something negative to focus on. Because now that it’s over, people have stopped. And I think that’s really interesting ... It bugged the whole family. I mean, it’s just was like, ‘Oh my gosh, what’s the big deal!?’ I don’t think it mattered as much before, just because there were other parents there. When they got voted off, their kids weren’t there anymore ... it brought more attention to my dad, I guess, and him just being a parent. I don’t know, it’s just weird how that all worked out. I didn’t even realize what was going on until ... I didn’t hear any of it until so ... there was a point where every single interview I did, they were more interested in that than anything else I was doing, even in the competition. It’s like, that’s not even a part of my life. It’s so annoying because it’s not -- like I have to talk about this nonexistent thing in interviews. It was really getting on my nerves, it’s like, ‘Okay that’s the least of my worries right now.’”

On his tour songs and his tactful decision to keep “Imagine” out of it:
“They wanted me to do certain songs that they thought people would want to hear. Some songs I just didn’t want to sing just because I didn’t want to lose the moment that they had on the show. I just wanted to keep that there with some of the songs. There are songs from the show, and there’s one that I didn’t do on the show. It’s fun. So it’s like, there’s songs that they did want me to do. And there’s a song I wanted to do to balance it, because I wanted to do a more emotional song, so there’s that.”

On singing “message songs”:
“Yeah, that’s what I wanted to do, really. I think ... I guess, I don’t know. They always did want, I don’t know, I guess it kind of bugged them. It was kind of funny when Simon did get annoyed by it, and he saw that ... then I sang the Chris Brown song afterwards, he was like, ‘Oh well, that didn’t fit you.’ It’s like, ‘Well, you’re the one complaining last song that ...’”

“You know, even if I’d like to do the radio stuff, I don’t, I guess it just doesn’t really suit me too much, so that’s what’s hard to do. Especially here in the U.S. ‘cuz it’s either you’re a really artisty kind of person or you’re a really radio kind of person. So it’s a matter of finding a combination of that. And I think as I get older, I’ll be able to have more flexibility. But right now, I guess I don’t mind doing the radio stuff because that’s the music I grew up around listening to, so that’s the stuff I listen to.”

On being in Sin City, he’s so funny:
“I spent time with my dad’s aunt who lives here, and just ate, you know. Didn’t do too much. Just kind of laid back. We ate at the Paris Hotel. It was pretty good.”

Any chance Date Night is back on with Jason? It’s Tuesday ...

No comments: